(1) How is natural hair color dependent upon the texture of the hair? *
(2) Give 2 formulas that will result in chocolate brown color when applied to white hair.
(3) What is the difference between a Dye and a Coupler? * (4) When mixing 45g 4N + 15g 4RO what is the working level of the 4N? * (5) How do you adjust a color formula for finer texture hair? 3 Ways * (6) A client with 80% white and 20% dark blonde hair wants medium blonde hair with warmth “but not too gold”, what is your complete formula? * (7) How is brassiness affected by the texture of the hair? * (8) What level and tone are created when mixing 60g 4N + 7g Green Concentrate + 60g 20 volume developer? *
(9) Why are Green eyes Green and Blue eyes Blue?
(10) A client with 50% white and 50% medium brown wants to be ash blonde. Give your complete formula. * (11) Why is the depth of Brown eyes important when lightening natural hair color * (12) True or False? Neutral is not a tone. * (13) Approximately how many ounces are equal to 29g? * (14) Why should the depth of skin color be taken into consideration when bleaching hair? *
(15) Give complete formulas to create the following on coarse white hair.
(16) What color is created by mixing PPD and Resorcinol? * (17) What is the predominant tone of the following formula? 30g 3N + 15g 4RV + 15g 6RO * (18) What are the 3 alkalizers used in hair coloring products? * (19) 30g 30 Vol. + 10g 20 Vol. = what volume of developer? *
(20) How does a colorist create Red shades? (two answers required)
(21) What are the 2 functions of Hydrogen Peroxide? (two answers required)
(22) What happens when a colorist adds 15g Lightening Cream (with no persulfates) to 45g of Deposit-Only 4N formula?
(24) Name any 4 of the 7 dye systems. *
4 answers required
(25) Give 2 different formulas to create 6NN from 6N including developer:
(26) What does the pH scale measure? * (27) How do you alter this formula to increase the red and decrease the orange? 60g 6RO + 60g 20 Vol * (28) What liquids do not have a pH? *
(29) Change this formula for better gray coverage without changing the tone. Give two different
complete formulas. 45g 6N + 15g 6RO + 60g 20 Vol
(30) What is the approximate pH of each of the following?
(31) What level is created by mixing 45g 3N + 15g 8N? * (32) How does temperature affect hair coloring products? * (33) What tone is created by Neutral and Blue-Violet? * (34) Name the 2 types of melanin: *
two answers required
(35) What Working-Levels are created when mixing 45g 3N + 15g 4RV? * (37) How much extra developer is added to a 60g formula of 4N for the addition of 7g of Green Concentrate? * (38) What chemical breaks up melanin units causing it to slowly fade? * (39) Give a complete formula for hair that is 75% white and 25% medium brown to create light warm brown. * (40) How is underlying pigment created? * (41) What are the working-levels when mixing 30g 3N and 30g 4G? * (42) How many levels are there in the American Level System? * (43) Soft auburns for gray hair are created by mixing which colors and in what proportions? * (44) How many levels of color can the human eye see? * (45) What volume of developer is created when mixing the following? 45g 20-volume + 15g water * (46) How are tones represented in European Systems? * (47) What complete formulas will neutralize level-6 orange hair and give a final color result of light neutral brown? * (48) Describe the difference between translucent and opaque within a level. * (49) If you only have 40-volume developer and your formula requires 25-volume, how do you create 25-volume developer? (Approximately 25-volume is okay.) * (50) In the American Level System what does level 5 represent? * (51) Give the complete SuperGlaze formula for medium brown hair with 50% white when a slightly lighter cooler and blended result is desired? * (52) If the mixing formula is 45g 5N + 15g 4RV, what is the Working formula? * (53) What is a complete permanent formula for medium brown hair with 50% white when a slightly lighter warm brown result is desired? * (54) What gives better gray coverage on medium textured white hair, 10 or 20-volume developer and why? *
make sure you answer WHY
(55) Why is a red ball red or a blue ball blue? * (56) Give 2 reasons why a client might be processed with steam? * (57) What is meant by “the optical illusion of Gray” hair? * (58) If you mix 30g liquid 10-volume + 30g cream 10-volume, what is the quantity and volume of the resulting mixture? * (59) What is the difference between “Gray” coverage and “Gray” blending? *
(60) When working with resistant gray hair, give two ways to alter this formula for better gray coverage. 45g 5N + 15g 6g + 60g 20-volume
Name as it should appear on your Master Colorist Certificate *